Full Bladder Saves the Day

Reposted material. Such as stories that have been copied from other sites and are not your own. If they are your own, you may put them in the 'stories' section. When posting please link to the original URL and the author. Please remember to copy the story in full.
Fred
Site Staff

Full Bladder Saves the Day

Post by Fred »

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 26080.html

When fire threatened world’s longest pier, a ‘hero’ with a full bladder saved the day

A U.K. man’s “quick-thinking tinkling” may have saved the world’s longest pleasure pier from going up in smoke, according to the BBC.

Now the 22-year-old dad is being hailed as a hero for dropping his pants and using his own sprinkler to douse a flame that threatened the iconic Southend Pier in Southend-on-Sea, U.K., Friday.

Watson was visiting the pier with his 15-month-old daughter and his partner, 26-year-old Saeefa Chowdhury, according to Echo News. The pier is a major landmark for the area and, at 1.34 miles long, is the longest pleasure pier in the world.
They were the last ones out on the pier, probably because rain and storms were in the area, Watson wrote on Facebook. “We were literally the last people there,” he told the BBC.

Watson spotted something unusual as they were walking.

“I saw smoke up ahead and ran over and there was a fire,” he told Echo News. “It had been a really hot day and very dry so I think the boards were very flammable. I was really worried the fire was underneath and we would get trapped.”
The blaze appeared to have been started by a dropped cigarette, according to the paper.

He also realized what he needed to do — so he dropped his pants and let loose. He told The Sun his full bladder made him “pretty confident.”

He did need to do some problem solving along the way, however.
“The only problem was the wind was pretty strong. After one failed attempt, I got down on to my knees and put out the flames to save the day. The firefighters called me a hero,” he told the paper.
On Facebook, Watson wrote that it’s “not every day you have the fire brigade thank you for weeing.” He even thought of a new name for his new hero persona: “the Southend Pee’er.”

So the end of today’s trip to the beach was weird, we were the last and only ones walking down the pier (guessing the rain and thunder scared away everyone else) and I noticed smoke coming out from further ahead! I quickly ran over to discover that some of the boards and a bolt had caught alight, so using my initiative I decided to empty my bladder & save Southend at the same time!

It’s not every day you have the fire brigade thank you for weeing, 😂
*turns out lightning struck it, so it was lucky that I was there when I was!

A spokesperson for the Southend Borough Council told the BBC the town appreciated Watson’s heroic urinary actions that day.
“Whilst we have faith our sprinkler system would have soon sprung into action, we understand the visitor deployed his own sprinkler system to swiftly extinguish the miniature inferno,” the spokesperson told the site, before inviting Watson and his family back for a free visit.
That is, as long as he promises to keep his pants “firmly secured” this time.
Wombat48
Site Staff

Re: Full Bladder Saves the Day

Post by Wombat48 »

Cute story! Clearly had a big bladder!!
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Wombat48 wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 18:22 Cute story! Clearly had a big bladder!!
Big bladder, and if he was "pretty confident" he really had to pee! In my youth there were times when I thought I could have put out a raging fire from the amount. ;-)
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

How do we know he didn't start it as he was desperate to go and the pier had no open toilets... :D :D :D :D
Adrian6970
Entrenched!

Post by Adrian6970 »

I think it proves the point that on rare occasions a full bladder can come in incredibly handy! :D