Access problems

Off topic chatter, old administrative threads, etc.
danjacob
Active

Re: Access problems

Post by danjacob »

I had this problem but clean cookies helped.
Where's the nearest toilet?
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

I wonder if there’s a way of contacting an administrator other than via a private message?

I’m almost giving up on this place because
A) I have to log in every time I come to the site - it won’t remember my log-on details.
B) I have tried to respond to posts a few times but when I try to submit anything, it tells me to log on again and I lose all that I have written.
C) If I try to send a private message, it does the same thing and I lose the content. Or if I cut and repaste it, the message just sits in my outbox forever and won’t send.

I’ve pretty much lost patience now, so Happy Christmas everyone.
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

PM Sent, Lee ;)
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Danjacob's mention of cookies may have had something to do with the persistence of my access problems. Now, I'm an absolute dolt when it comes to the tech stuff, but once I got the "access denied" screen, I think that every time I tried to access the site my computer went to the previous ladspissing screen, which was the access denied one. Using Windscribe resulted in a text-only version of the site with many failures when I attempted to post. My first successful contact was when I selected a Greatwater story from a Google search, and from then on it worked fine. I've occasionally had to log in again, but I've attributed this to the cranky old laptop that I use for "naughty" places.

So Lee, try deleting any cookies and autofills related to this site, log in as if you were a newby, and see if that works. Or see if you can find a ladspissing story in a Google search. Having experienced your frustration, I know the temptation to just give up. I almost did. Maybe Tytn will do his Access Dance and utter the appropriate incantations.
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

I use tools such as CCleaner and BleachBit. Among other things, they clear the browser cache and cookies. It should be noted that these tools are somewhat advanced, meaning that you need to know what you are doing at least to a certain extent.

Suppose you compose a message and press the Submit button, and get a page with a error message. Then it is often possible to just press the browser's Back button to the previous page, so that you can copy out what was written. Of course, trying to press the Submit button a second time is likely to be futile.
Having said that, the user interface of this web site could have been better than this. I have not investigated phpBB myself, but is it possible to configure phpBB to submit messages via AJAX or JavaScript? That way, submission errors can be displayed on the submission page itself, rather than navigating the user away from the submission page to an error page.
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

Tytn wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 14:57PM Sent, Lee ;)
I tried to send a private message saying thanks. But as ever, it's still sitting in outbox unsent ... along with several others which are now past their usefulness.

So thanks!
burstingguys
Site Staff

Post by burstingguys »

Lee, so sorry about that it seems a setting got triggered which disabled persistent log-in. I've just fixed the setting - please let us know if the issue persists.
"I gotta get in there man!"
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

Lee wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 18:11 I tried to send a private message saying thanks. But as ever, it's still sitting in outbox unsent ...
Once you send the messages they sit in your outbox until the recipient has read them, then they go to 'sent'.

So if they are still in the outbox then it is that the recipient has not managed/bothered to read their messages.

ATTENTION: ALL USERS. Please remember to periodically check your private message section for any messages people have sent you. It should be in the upper right of the screen and there may be a highlighted mark there to indicate you have messages. Even if you don't, please periodically check them. By 'periodically' i mean every now and again. ie every other visit here? maybe more maybe less.
Sean
Active

Post by Sean »

Thanks, guys!!
Dazza88
Senior Supporter

Post by Dazza88 »

No issues for me although it was very quiet with the access issues