Very Quiet Here

Off topic chatter, old administrative threads, etc.
Lee
Can't stay away...

Re: Very Quiet Here

Post by Lee »

Not sure why you're wasting your time keeping the board open, to be brutally honest.
Dazza88
Senior Supporter

Post by Dazza88 »

Well there is one that has slumped into the Covid depression 😂
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

Dazza88 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 16:14 Well there is one that has slumped into the Covid depression 😂
Not at all, must he must be committing time and money to maintaining a forum that has such limited appeal that very few contribute. I went away for a few months and couldn’t believe how much input had died when I came back. Not sure I’d be bothering if it was me. Up to him, of course, though.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

Lee wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 12:54 Not sure why you're wasting your time keeping the board open, to be brutally honest.
Well, even if people aren't contributing much at the moment, the board is and remains a treasure trove of stories and experiences which people have contributed, and you yourself have of course been prolific with your numerous very well written stories and other contributions, as have many others here. (I was particularly pleased yesterday evening to see that you had added another story, one of your classics from years ago, to the collection on this board. I didn't have time to comment on it then, but I will do so now.)

I can tell you that this board is being visited and read a great deal during this Corona crisis even if people aren't writing very much that is new. There's every reason to keep it open.
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

In the grand scheme of things, the costs involved are quite low. I spend more money on inappropriate phone games, and as said above, its worth it for other members.
Lee
Can't stay away...

Post by Lee »

Well that was worth saying! Prompted more debate than I’ve seen in weeks!!
Wombat48
Site Staff

Post by Wombat48 »

Yeah agree that more new content is always great (sadly I have no opportunity to write anything in detail just at the moment) plus I am not convinced I am that good a writer anyway lol
But agree with Brian and Tytn that the historic content is always worth keeping 🙂
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Wombat48 wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 05:50 Yeah agree that more new content is always great (sadly I have no opportunity to write anything in detail just at the moment) plus I am not convinced I am that good a writer anyway lol
But agree with Brian and Tytn that the historic content is always worth keeping 🙂
I think of this site as a library. Over the years I've read many great stories, but as the websites fade so do the stories. So few have been preserved for new readers. The new crop of moderators assures that our trove will continue on for another generation. Thank you, guys!
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

Tytn wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 17:27 In the grand scheme of things, the costs involved are quite low.
For a low volume site, I agree that costs are pretty low. Hosting can be so cheap that domain renewal can actually be more expensive, although I don't know what add-on services this site employs. I own a personal site (don't ask where it is), and my monthly telco bills is more than maintaining my site for three months.