Briefer Sightings

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
Def123
Entrenched!

Re: Briefer Sightings

Post by Def123 »

Great sighting greatwater and bearshel!

I’ve had some really good male bonding experiences while peeing with good friends.

As Fred says, Covid has resulted in far fewer toilets open around town. But quite a lot of my ‘desperation bonding’ events and sightings have been on the walk back from nightclubs etc where everything is shut, public toilets in particular. Or, in a situation out in the countryside (or motorways) where there aren’t any toilets anyway.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

When out walking at night with a friend, if you say, "I'm gonna have to take a leak by those trees," it's not unlikely that he might respond, "Thank God, I'm bursting!" and follow you to the trees.
Def123
Entrenched!

Post by Def123 »

Fred wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 18:34 When out walking at night with a friend, if you say, "I'm gonna have to take a leak by those trees," it's not unlikely that he might respond, "Thank God, I'm bursting!" and follow you to the trees.
Very true Fred!

If I’ve been waking home with friends and one stops to pee, I always join them.

I think I’ve mentioned before, when I’m out cycling with friends, if one stops for a slash it’s the done thing for everyone to do the same so that we don’t have to stop multiple times!
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

Def123 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 13:27 [...]
I think I’ve mentioned before, when I’m out cycling with friends, if one stops for a slash it’s the done thing for everyone to do the same so that we don’t have to stop multiple times!
Sounds convenient, great solidarity, but perhaps it sometimes works the other way? Either some of the guys will wait until they're really desperate because they know they're stopping everyone and forcing the single pee stop if they have to give in and be the first one? Or maybe everyone's already had their single pee stop and one of them wants to go again because he overhydrated, but having to stop multiple times is not the idea so he'll just have to grimly hold on? Your cycling group sounds interesting!
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

Last year I was supporting a youth event but the section I supported were for over 18s. Within scouting that section is called Network. It is the older youths that are out of school, have usually got all the experience behind them and are more inclined to add unexpected sections onto a 'planned scout hike'. You know, like a pub stop ;)

So we had planned a route and the Network were doing a section of an additional 10km to go via a drinking establishment before returning to the others. We did our stuff. I was relatively unfit at that stage so I opted to stay behind with the car to be able to support if anyone had to drop out. It often happened. There are ratios for young people and adults. Over 18 meant they didn't need adult support as they were adults.

So. The 15km main group did their loops and ended up at a play park near a microbrewery (for the leader’s relaxation of course) and the network branched off, we watched them go and I went with another leader to monitor them to confirm they did actually do the route rather than dive into the nearest pub.

Yep, they did it. The visited 3 drinking establishments on their hike than the planned one. However, the last, the 4th, which was not that far from our base, was closed. Which didn’t bode well. This is now an urban area and good mix with girls, who had it seems argued quite strongly that if they have to manage their liquid intake due to consequences so should the lads. Therefore, no peeing at the roadside.

This didn’t go down too well so needless to say, and much hilarity of the leaders when they found out, the older teens were rather urgently in need of the last pub when they reached it. Which was closed for refurbishment. No drinks, no toilets, and the whole site covered in metal looped fencing panels. Literally no access to site.

It was also winter and rather cold out, so they had to hike the next 3km back to the hut. The girls were coping better than lads who practically ran into the carpark, ignored disrobing their muddy boots and dove straight into the toilets. One of the leaders practically shouted at them that they had to take their boots off and some valiantly tried to remove them but those that made the toilets were reported to have let out strong waterfalls, either in the stalls or urinals, as if they hadn't gone all day. There was also much cursing, whimpering, whining and general noisiness. The girls calmly removed their boots and went to theirs, grinning like loons.

A few of the nearly obedient Network members made it in with either one boot off or in socks. These are also role models, remember. But all 9 of the network lads (5 girls) were very clearly desperate to go, and also had been trying to physically hold onto themselves whilst taking their boots off. Hiking boots need you to bend over, and undo the laces enough to get the boot off. More than just shoes, which have 2-3 cross points over your foot. Boots have 7-9 cross points, and is often looped around again. Bending over to undo boots was not well received.

Eventually they came into the main hall, and sat down in a drained huddle, whilst some others had to go for a change of clothing and, surprisingly for older teens, a change of underwear.

For the next hour or so they kept 'going again' for what sounded like another noisy bladderful.

The girls reported what had happened and most males were horrified of the option of 'not to stop and just pee anywhere'. It was debated introducing that across the board but the older leaders reckoned it was 'dangerous on concentration' to not pee as well as some of our leaders were over 50 and 'needed to pee a lot'. It may have been mentioned by some that had not yet grown up that clearly the older ones had failed to plan for all eventualities on their hike as they had been instructed to do so.

There was another time as well, of which may end up in a story, where the same group went on a break to North Wales. Had some fun in the summer, had some soft drinks up there (soft = non-alcoholic) a walk on the beach and then a drive back down the A5 to the Midlands.

Part way through the journey they needed to go but couldn't find any 'services' to go in. They had come the A5/A55 route and had passed the Chirk McDonalds before the need became apparent. Then they came off the main road due to roadworks and took a 'more direct' route but not a major road.

The need soon became apparent and they looked out for 'services'... and looked out... and looked....

I don't know what they were looking for but apparently didn't spot the various services.

They made it to M6 Corley, which was not far from where they lived and all of them in the car were squirming quite badly, with the driver struggling to drive with crossed legs. They reached the services, and at this point decided that the services were too far and had to use a bush in the carpark, and were 'noticed' by someone who knew them. Hence how the story got to us because this had triggered them to tell us. They were there for quite a while it seems, indicating they had quite large bladders and a lot had to come out.

They were most distressed when I pointed out that 'most garages' had toilets for the public to use. I listed off most of them on the A5 and M54. The M54 has services at Junction 4 I think, so you have to come off. Before that there are at least 6 other places I would have stopped and you could park a lorry in 2 of them. They are that large.

The incident at the services encouraged the others in the group to better try to learn where toilet stops where. It didn’t make it any better when they supported us in driving the scout group out to Wales for a camping weekend. They wanted their cars to 'go exploring' so we got them involved to take 2-3 scouts each and stuff like that.

And so, 90 minutes away from base we pulled into a site for everyone to 'stretch their legs' and I pointed out there was a 'costa coffee' place with toilets. Go in, turn left, almost to the counter, turn left and the toilets are there. Then the nearby garage. Walk in, between the Greggs and the counter, and its right in front of you and behind us was a garden store. Dobbie’s, I think. I was sure they had toilets.

I directed this information to the older 'Network' knowing full well everyone else could hear too. The network who had taken that fateful trip went bright red, leading to more questions later.

90 minutes after we got on the road again and we stopped in a rural town to pick up supplies. Parked in a large carpark. Pointed out the public toilets to the Network team too. They just scowled at me. I think I got my message across. I heard one other member say 'ooh this leader is very helpful for us, we should have him more often to help us like this, what happened with the drivers? They don't seem to like being told when to go, do they forget it when they get older'.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

When responsible for a group in an extended outing, whether on foot or by car or bus, toilet stops have to be planned. It gets complicated when your information isn't current and the expected relief station isn't there. And you shouldn't have to plan for the lads who include pubs on the way, though they can be the most interesting ones!
Def123
Entrenched!

Post by Def123 »

Brian wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 09:31

Sounds convenient, great solidarity, but perhaps it sometimes works the other way? Either some of the guys will wait until they're really desperate because they know they're stopping everyone and forcing the single pee stop if they have to give in and be the first one? Or maybe everyone's already had their single pee stop and one of them wants to go again because he overhydrated, but having to stop multiple times is not the idea so he'll just have to grimly hold on? Your cycling group sounds interesting!
Oh absolutely!

I remember once being out on a really long (300 km) ride with a friend. We were somewhere out in the fens when I called out that I needed to stop for a slash.

We stopped, as as the roads were really straight (and the land really flat) we could see there wasn’t another person for miles round. So we didn’t even get off our bikes to piss, just pulled the front of our bib shorts down. I’d finished, and I could still see my friend in full flow, so I had a drink and he was still going.

When we eventually stopped I asked him “Needed that did you?” And he just smiled at me, shook it dry and said “Yep”.
ThePTNN202
Active

Post by ThePTNN202 »

bearshel wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 12:39 He was vulnerable and he came to me for help. It was actually really cool. He gave me a friendly pat on the shoulder before he took the elevator back down again to leave. It seems like pee desperation can be a mechanism for male bonding.

Has anyone else had a pee/bonding experience?
Good work! @bearshel 8-) "It was actually really cool", he probably think's you're 'really cool' too now, and I'm sure you are 8-)

I like this scenario. Have experienced and observed similar ‘bonding’ too …including the pat on the shoulder. I guess it’s going to vary between personalities, but in my own experience and observation, yes, absolutely a way to ‘bond’.
Myself, I think I gain more ‘enjoyment’ from being the 'cool' one that helps rather than being the one that prolongs, and yes it’s often been a good way to earn respect and even make friends (just in general, works in any other vulnerable circumstance too) …even with people you don’t think you’d ever share anything in common with otherwise.

Same setting: bathroom-less building lobby, but reverse scenario: I was the one waiting when a kind gentleman offered access to facilities on his level. I wasn’t desperate to go but appreciated the ‘situational awareness’ (I guess there was an assumption because I’d been on the road for a few hours).
ThePTNN202
Active

Post by ThePTNN202 »

[apologies for 2 posts in succession]

This week’s ‘brief sighting’:

“I have to do a wee!” I heard a male voice say rather loudly at X (busy) train station. An attendant opened the barrier (toilet facilities here are located inside the paid/ticketed area). “Which way?” he asked frantically while hoping from foot to foot. “I have to do a wee!” he repeated. The attendant indicated and he bolted off.

Don’t know, might speculate. Looked like a labourer, but no discernible uniform so maybe a private contractor (ie: no ‘employer’ required to provide breaks/facilities). Also, we’ve had a bit of a heat wave, everyone’s probably drinking lots of water. A train station would be a pretty obvious place to look, but kind of inconvenient when the facilities are inside the paid area and you don’t have a ticket.

Not gonna lie, there's something really quite 'cute' about a guy unashamedly announcing (loudly and in front of hundreds of strangers even) “I have to do a wee!” in tone of voice that says: “right now!”.
That said, I do hope he got there in time and felt better after [alternate /or in-case your imagine prefers to go further: I hope they weren't temporarily closed for cleaning, which they sometimes are when I walk past].
Wombat48
Site Staff

Post by Wombat48 »

ThePTNN202 wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 02:30 [apologies for 2 posts in succession]

This week’s ‘brief sighting’:

“I have to do a wee!” I heard a male voice say rather loudly at X (busy) train station. An attendant opened the barrier (toilet facilities here are located inside the paid/ticketed area). “Which way?” he asked frantically while hoping from foot to foot. “I have to do a wee!” he repeated. The attendant indicated and he bolted off.

Don’t know, might speculate. Looked like a labourer, but no discernible uniform so maybe a private contractor (ie: no ‘employer’ required to provide breaks/facilities). Also, we’ve had a bit of a heat wave, everyone’s probably drinking lots of water. A train station would be a pretty obvious place to look, but kind of inconvenient when the facilities are inside the paid area and you don’t have a ticket.

Not gonna lie, there's something really quite 'cute' about a guy unashamedly announcing (loudly and in front of hundreds of strangers even) “I have to do a wee!” in tone of voice that says: “right now!”.
That said, I do hope he got there in time and felt better after [alternate /or in-case your imagine prefers to go further: I hope they weren't temporarily closed for cleaning, which they sometimes are when I walk past].
That is the hottest thing!!! 😏