In the News

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
Wombat48
Site Staff

Re: In the News

Post by Wombat48 »

Brian wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 21:21
Fred wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 18:12
Destroying the jug is, indeed, an overreaction. Perhaps his host will now fix the door!
The jug was a mistake. Leaving that in the room gave our friend an easy solution to the problem his host had cunningly arranged. That's why he wants to destroy the jug. No way he'll fix the door, though.
Haha Brian- hadn’t thought of that!!! 😏
zsrh2002
Involved

Post by zsrh2002 »

Don't think this has been posted

Man says he ‘couldn’t hold it any longer’ after peeing on bus with no toilet from Dublin to Belfast

https://www.meanwhileinireland.com/man- ... o-belfast/
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

zsrh2002 wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 00:17 Don't think this has been posted

Man says he ‘couldn’t hold it any longer’ after peeing on bus with no toilet from Dublin to Belfast

https://www.meanwhileinireland.com/man- ... o-belfast/
Apparently the judge knew quite well how a pint or two can create such an urgency that even a strong, young lad can't hold it, and that's why he dismissed the charges. It was a mistake for the man to skip the long queue at the toilets even if he didn't really have to go, and he must have thought he could hold until their destination. As a beer drinker, no doubt he'd successfully held it in before and believed he could do so again.
Wombat48
Site Staff

Post by Wombat48 »

Great find!! Love the idea of a young man being desperate on the bus after a few drinks and desperately trying to hold on but eventually knowing that he just can’t hold it any longer! Also for us UK folk- the only thing connected to Brexit that is remotely positive!! 😂
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

"News" from way back in 1993, but worth recalling now:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. —

The German tourist whose urgent need to use the bathroom was mistaken for a bomb threat finally went home after spending 10 months in jail.

Johann Grzeganek, 24, pleaded guilty last week to four charges involving interference with a flight crew and was sentenced to time served. Prosecutors dropped a charge involving concealing a bomb.

At a hearing last Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Norman Roettger criticized federal prosecutors’ handling of the case, saying it was a “disgrace he’s been in jail this long.”

Anna Jones, one of his attorneys, said Grzeganek left Florida on Saturday evening and returned to his home in Garbsen, Germany. He had remained in jail 10 months because he couldn’t make the $100,000 bond.

In January, Grzeganek was arrested aboard a flight to Germany. Grzeganek, who’s afraid of flying, said the problem started when he got up to use the restroom because his bladder was “going to explode.”

When a German-speaking flight attendant instructed him to sit down, he said: “No, no, no, the roof would go.” The attendant said she thought Grzeganek was referring to a bomb.

After the incident, the pilot dumped his fuel at sea and returned to the Hollywood-Ft. Lauderdale International Airport, where Grzeganek was arrested.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Brian wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 18:05 "News" from way back in 1993, but worth recalling now:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. —

The German tourist whose urgent need to use the bathroom was mistaken for a bomb threat finally went home after spending 10 months in jail.

Johann Grzeganek, 24, pleaded guilty last week to four charges involving interference with a flight crew and was sentenced to time served. Prosecutors dropped a charge involving concealing a bomb.

At a hearing last Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Norman Roettger criticized federal prosecutors’ handling of the case, saying it was a “disgrace he’s been in jail this long.”

Anna Jones, one of his attorneys, said Grzeganek left Florida on Saturday evening and returned to his home in Garbsen, Germany. He had remained in jail 10 months because he couldn’t make the $100,000 bond.

In January, Grzeganek was arrested aboard a flight to Germany. Grzeganek, who’s afraid of flying, said the problem started when he got up to use the restroom because his bladder was “going to explode.”

When a German-speaking flight attendant instructed him to sit down, he said: “No, no, no, the roof would go.” The attendant said she thought Grzeganek was referring to a bomb.

After the incident, the pilot dumped his fuel at sea and returned to the Hollywood-Ft. Lauderdale International Airport, where Grzeganek was arrested.
This isn't the only time that an airline has overreacted. He deserves to be compensated for his ten months in prison. I wonder if he had a chance to pee before he was arrested.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

An article today from my local news site. In Dutch, so my translation is below. But clicking on the link also shows a photo of the player in question.

https://www.nhnieuws.nl/nieuws/278645/t ... moest-even
Telstar player Plet does "a wee" in empty stadium during match: "I just had to"

VELSEN-ZUID - The fact that due to Corona football stadiums are not full of spectators is not entirely disadvantageous. That is what Telstar player Glynor Plet experienced last weekend during the match against NEC. Because if you feel "a wee" coming on and there is no-one there to see, you might just as well empty your bladder at the side of the pitch. And that is exactly what Plet did.

"We were five minutes into the match and felt I had to pee," says the player today on the NH Radio programme Spitstijd. "We were under some pressure, so I thought: if I run inside I'll only make it more difficult for my team." So Glynor Plet just played on with pressure on his bladder.

"But the longer it went on, the worse I had to go," he says in retrospect. When the ball went off the pitch and a corner was awarded, the Telstar player grabbed his chance. "I thought then: now I just have to go. I quickly jumped over the boarding and I thought: it's simply necessary. I just did a piss and then carried on."

Understanding referee

Meanwhile the rest of the team and the opponents did not wait for him. "I asked if they could just wait before taking the corner, but of course they couldn't." Plet was not punished for it in any case. "I think everyone could see that I ran off the pitch, and fortunately I wasn't punished for it, but actually you're not allowed to just run off the pitch like that. I can understand that it's not a normal thing to do and that it's a punishable action, but I'm glad that this referee had more understanding of the situation."

In any case the incident had no negative effect on the match. Telstar won 5-2 against NEC yesterday. And the "public pisser" himself scored twice. He can smile about it now. "I do understand that people find it funny. I'll just have to focus on the football now and it will all blow over."
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Because most players most of the time do not need an emergency pee during play, I have to assume that when they get caught short like this it's because they either neglected to empty their bladders before the start of the game or that they just have small bladders. I prefer the neglectful ones, or maybe they were just overconfident.
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

And then there's always the occasion when the bladder just decides to act differently that day, even though everything else seems routine. :)
Connor
Involved

Post by Connor »

Fred wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 11:30 Because most players most of the time do not need an emergency pee during play, I have to assume that when they get caught short like this it's because they either neglected to empty their bladders before the start of the game or that they just have small bladders. I prefer the neglectful ones, or maybe they were just overconfident.
Yes, I like the idea that they have been neglectful, or at some point have thought to themselves "it'll be fine" or "I can wait."