Are boxers or Brief's more popular?

Off topic chatter, old administrative threads, etc.
Bigdog
Can't stay away...
Are boxers or Brief's more popular?

Post by Bigdog »

Are boxer shorts still popular, or are Brief's more popular nowadays? I often wonder if footballers wear briefs, often when they bend down you can sometimes see the outline of their underwear.
Jamester81
Active

Re: Are boxers or Brief's more popular?

Post by Jamester81 »

I think it depends what country or area you are in. I think in the UK, certainly in Scotland where I live, boxers are overwhelmingly more popular. Perhaps 30 years ago that wouldn't have been the case.

In some European countries perhaps briefs are more popular?

As for football players, many wear briefs as that is what their club provides as part of their kit. Even at that many choose to wear compression style boxers such as under armour.
BottleBlaze
Involved

Post by BottleBlaze »

Boxer briefs for me! I find that boxers (in what I'm imagining) are pretty loose, while briefs are pretty tight.
So I like boxer briefs instead which is a nice inbetween
bodgyuk
Site Staff

Post by bodgyuk »

Jamester81 wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 23:38 I think it depends what country or area you are in. I think in the UK, certainly in Scotland where I live, boxers are overwhelmingly more popular. Perhaps 30 years ago that wouldn't have been the case.

I can date the boxer wearing to an exact year - I've posted in an earlier thread. Modern boxers (though not boxer briefs) hit the UK, or rather M&S, Next and JLP started selling larger ranges in 1985 within weeks of the Levis advert starring Nick Kamen stripping off in a laundrette due to demand by women folk (mainly) at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56M5OZS1A8 the advert on Youtube - I once met him in passing when I worked in Chelsea, and he had the deepest blue eyes I had ever seen. Sadly he died a couple of years ago.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

That Levis advert brings back the memories. My coming out era. I lived in the UK back then too.

It was an unusual (unique possibly) and daring idea at the time to show a man in underwear on TV with the clear intention of selling the product by appealing to people's erotic sensibilities. Women were used far and wide like that all the time, but new ground was broken by using a guy instead.

They may have had Nick Kamen in boxers rather than briefs because of the modesty factor. There were clear limits to what you could show at the time. I remember wishing he'd been in briefs. Of course, they were selling the jeans, not the underwear. But I can well believe you, bodgyuk, when you suggest that it was this advert that caused modern boxers to take off in the UK at that time.
Jamester81
Active

Post by Jamester81 »

I agree that advert is where the popularity of boxers stems from. Although through the 90s a lot of men still preferred briefs. I was at high school in the mid 90s and quite a few lads wore briefs. Whereas today I'd bet boxers are the choice for the vast majority.

It might come down to the style of the boxers. Very few now wear the loose fitting type as worn in that advert. I remember wearing those as a youngster and I switched back to briefs. Most guys now wear tighter fitting boxers, which are sometimes referred to as boxer briefs?
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

Think many people wear trunks now. Not sure about their relative popularity.
Bigdog
Can't stay away...

Post by Bigdog »

There was a shift back to briefs when I left school in 2012