Cold-Weather Gear

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
Fred
Site Staff

Cold-Weather Gear

Post by Fred »

Right now in New England we have some record-breaking cold, and on the news they interviewed a man on the street who described what he was wearing to protect from the cold. Underwear, then long johns, then a flannel track suit under his jeans. That would make peeing very awkward! The modestly endowed might lack sufficient reach, and the overly endowed might find it difficult to pull something large through all those layers. I'd guess that this young man will simply hold it until he gets home and can safely undress!
Brian
Site Staff
Re: Cold-Weather Gear

Post by Brian »

Yes, wearing extra layers really does make peeing difficult. It's especially awkward peeling them off when you have to go urgently!

Here in Europe our winter is typically mild again, nothing like what you have. But even so I'm still wearing extra long underwear over my normal briefs and under my uniform to go out to work in the dark mornings, and just that one extra layer forces extra gymnastics and costs precious seconds when I run in for a pee in the sporadic moments when I can.
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

Layers do excite me because it ties into my major interest of extrication difficulties. It can make peeing a major task, especially those who pee through a fly without unbuttoning the top button, as they navigate opening after opening. Perhaps he has to first remove his gloves, use his semi-frozen fingers to open a couple of stiff button flies on a pair of jeans fitted tightly over the layers, followed by finding a pee hole, and then another misaligned pee hole, and finally reaching to the bottom of his trunks. And he still have to pull that snake out. If there is some unexpected obstacle, this process might take well over a minute, all the while fighting the urgent pressure from the overfull bladder that is threatening to release! But practically, I think when one is wearing so many layers, I think it is easiest to undo everything, and pull all the layers down for extraction.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

googlism2008 wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 18:06 But practically, I think when one is wearing so many layers, I think it is easiest to undo everything, and pull all the layers down for extraction.
But if one is working outdoors, stripping down usually is not an option. Also, outdoors working in the cold, it's tempting to accept cups of hot coffee to warm you up, but that can just add fuel to the fire. :o
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

Fred wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 18:31
googlism2008 wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 18:06 But practically, I think when one is wearing so many layers, I think it is easiest to undo everything, and pull all the layers down for extraction.
But if one is working outdoors, stripping down usually is not an option. Also, outdoors working in the cold, it's tempting to accept cups of hot coffee to warm you up, but that can just add fuel to the fire. :o
OK, perhaps my wording was unclear, but I mean undoing the top portion of all the bottom layers - belts, files, drawstrings, whatever - it is unnecessary to remove any layer. Since you said jeans, I assume there is no one-piece that prevents the person from doing so. Of course, as the number of layers increase, the amount of work necessary to undo all of them increases. And there's always that possibility of something not opening easily, such as improperly tied drawstrings.
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

Fred wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 17:24 Right now in New England we have some record-breaking cold, and on the news they interviewed a man on the street who described what he was wearing to protect from the cold. Underwear, then long johns, then a flannel track suit under his jeans. That would make peeing very awkward! The modestly endowed might lack sufficient reach, and the overly endowed might find it difficult to pull something large through all those layers. I'd guess that this young man will simply hold it until he gets home and can safely undress!
To be fair I think that chap is using the wrong kind of clothing to keep himself warm. Here in the UK when working in up to -15c (5f) weather I would be wearing thermal leggings, work trousers and breathable waterproof trousers. I would also have decent work boots and thick winter spec socks.

To get through those I have a elastic on the front of the waterproof trousers, then its down to my regular flies on my work trousers and then I'd have to move down the thermal layer and underwear underneath.

The other option is to wear leggings and ski trousers/pants instead.

For the upper layers I'd have a Merino wool base layer, maybe two, Tshirt, fleece or jumper and then a winter coat on top, maybe a fleece waistcoat too. It depends on my activity.

For my work I am moving heavy (300kg - 900kg) cages (on wheels) in the back of the lorry and onto the tail lift to delivery to stores. The freezer is kept at -18c (-0.4f) to -25c (-13f). However, those cant be relied on that much because I switch the fridge motors off when I'm in the freezer so its cold but still air. For that I am often in my regular work clothes without thermal layers.

Because I'm getting over this chest infection I'm wearing my merino wool base layer all the time at work with a TShirt over the top. I then have an additional fleece with hi vis bodywarmer on the top but shifting heavy cages has me taking those off.

But that is working, and for that you'll build up your body temperatures.
Tytn
Site Staff

Post by Tytn »

Brian wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 17:57 Yes, wearing extra layers really does make peeing difficult. It's especially awkward peeling them off when you have to go urgently!

Here in Europe our winter is typically mild again, nothing like what you have. But even so I'm still wearing extra long underwear over my normal briefs and under my uniform to go out to work in the dark mornings, and just that one extra layer forces extra gymnastics and costs precious seconds when I run in for a pee in the sporadic moments when I can.
I remember bus driving in winter. The cab heaters didnt work and would often only be blowing cold air on the windscreen. The passengers would moan it was cold and point out the 'heater' button on the dash and I'd explain it was for the heater for the windscreen but it didnt work either. So I'd wear thermal trousers and thermal upper layers under my uniform.

I'm glad im on trucks now because if I need to, I can change out of my cold weather gear in the cab as I often solo run.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Tytn wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 19:07
Fred wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 17:24 Right now in New England we have some record-breaking cold, and on the news they interviewed a man on the street who described what he was wearing to protect from the cold. Underwear, then long johns, then a flannel track suit under his jeans. That would make peeing very awkward! The modestly endowed might lack sufficient reach, and the overly endowed might find it difficult to pull something large through all those layers. I'd guess that this young man will simply hold it until he gets home and can safely undress!
To be fair I think that chap is using the wrong kind of clothing to keep himself warm. Here in the UK when working in up to -15c (5f) weather I would be wearing thermal leggings, work trousers and breathable waterproof trousers. I would also have decent work boots and thick winter spec socks.

To get through those I have a elastic on the front of the waterproof trousers, then its down to my regular flies on my work trousers and then I'd have to move down the thermal layer and underwear underneath.

The other option is to wear leggings and ski trousers/pants instead.

For the upper layers I'd have a Merino wool base layer, maybe two, Tshirt, fleece or jumper and then a winter coat on top, maybe a fleece waistcoat too. It depends on my activity.

For my work I am moving heavy (300kg - 900kg) cages (on wheels) in the back of the lorry and onto the tail lift to delivery to stores. The freezer is kept at -18c (-0.4f) to -25c (-13f). However, those cant be relied on that much because I switch the fridge motors off when I'm in the freezer so its cold but still air. For that I am often in my regular work clothes without thermal layers.

Because I'm getting over this chest infection I'm wearing my merino wool base layer all the time at work with a TShirt over the top. I then have an additional fleece with hi vis bodywarmer on the top but shifting heavy cages has me taking those off.

But that is working, and for that you'll build up your body temperatures.
Ty, you're accustomed to working in the cold and well-equipped to do it (and sufficiently equipped to get past four layers ;) ). The fellow being interviewed apparently had a limited wardrobe and just put on anything that would keep him warmer.