Males vs. Females - A Genuine Study

Reposted material. Such as stories that have been copied from other sites and are not your own. If they are your own, you may put them in the 'stories' section. When posting please link to the original URL and the author. Please remember to copy the story in full.
Fred
Site Staff

Males vs. Females - A Genuine Study

Post by Fred »

This is a study about holding ability of males and females. It includes a comparison chart, but when I tried to copy it, it came out all wonky, so you need to look at it yourself. What struck me was the large amount they were holding at each stage. The maximum capacity of men was 2235 ml and for women it was 1635 ml. Because they seem higher than what we see elsewhere for holding capacity, my guess is that (1) these subjects were all in their early 20s, and (2) because they volunteered for the study the subjects may have known that they had superior holding ability. In any case, I’m impressed!

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319392393

Abstract:
Background and Objectives: Micturition reflex is long been taught as an interplay of autonomic and somatic nervous system. This reflex is expected to vary with bladder-habits, gender and BMI differences but no study supports this theory sufficiently. The objective of this study is to provide evidence for vari- ation in bladder capacity to hold urine by bladder-habits, gender and BMI.
Methods: A total of 69 1st year dentistry students (20 males & 49 females) who consented were asked to empty their bladder naturally followed by drinking measured amounts of mineral water in glass-bea- ker to the level that they would not be able to hold urine any further. They were advised to note down all their feelings during that process as mentioned in the response form. They also accounted their usual bladder-habit of postponing the visit and lastly expressed that they passed urine in presence of favor- able or unfavorable condition.
Results: Male students due to comparatively greater mean height and weight had significantly higher maximum capacity of bladder to hold urine independent of BMI. Likewise there was gender-wise signi- ficant difference in appearance of 1st desire to micturate, discomfort and pain in terms of filling capa- city of bladder. Micturition-postponing-behavior did not affect significantly the maximum capacity to hold urine but played significant role on voluntary control of micturition under unfavorable circum- stances.
Conclusions: Bladder capacity and voluntary control varies with gender and accommodating behavior respectively. This study may help in establishing a data base in our study population and may add to scientific knowledge.
Go look at the study!
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Re: Males vs. Females - A Genuine Study

Post by googlism2008 »

Note that the numbers refer to the volume of water intake, not bladder capacity. Therefore, some of the water will still be on its way to the bladder, and some of the water may have perspired away, and both sets of numbers are unknown. With regards to the second factor, their environmental condition is also not given in the paper.

Input does not equal output. However, given that the mean input is more than 2 liters when the guys peed, I surmise that the mean output should substantially exceed 1 liter. I agree that this is very respectable and impressive.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

googlism2008 wrote: 28 May 2023, 10:36 Note that the numbers refer to the volume of water intake, not bladder capacity. Therefore, some of the water will still be on its way to the bladder, and some of the water may have perspired away, and both sets of numbers are unknown. With regards to the second factor, their environmental condition is also not given in the paper.

Input does not equal output. However, given that the mean input is more than 2 liters when the guys peed, I surmise that the mean output should substantially exceed 1 liter. I agree that this is very respectable and impressive.
True, intake does not equal output. What confuses that issue is that the report frequently refers to bladder capacity, so the chart isn't really clear about it. It still appears that in this study men held more/longer than women.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

The researchers missed a huge opportunity to consult the omorashi community for our expert input. :roll:
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

Fred wrote: 28 May 2023, 10:51 True, intake does not equal output. What confuses that issue is that the report frequently refers to bladder capacity, so the chart isn't really clear about it. It still appears that in this study men held more/longer than women.
The methods section made it clear (emphasis mine):
They were advised to refrain from fluid intake since morning (4 hours of conduction of experiment). Then they were asked to empty their bladders at the beginning. [...] Thereafter, they were advised to drink measured quantity of water using graduated glass beakers. They noted the volume of water intake in milliliters at which they developed the first sensation or urge for micturition; abdominal fullness; pain in holding urine and finally, they were asked also to note at what capacity of water intake, they decided to pass urine.
In my mind, if the intent is to measure bladder capacity, then they should at least also ask the participants to measure the volume of their urinary output when the participants feel that they could no longer hold it in any further. Even better, repeat the experiments but ask the participants to pee and measure their volumes at one or more earlier stages, e.g., at the first sensation or urge. Of course, the number of repetitions cannot be too high.

Depending on the environmental conditions and speed of water intake, after a participant decided to pee, the amount of water in the body still waiting to travel to the bladder can be very significant. I do wonder if any of these guys got caught shot at some point of time after they completed their experiments. I am very sure beer drinkers know this phenomenon, although beer has the added effect of being a diuretic. But it need not be beer - plain water and other kinds of liquids can produce the same effect as well.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

https://www.nairaland.com/2134795/myth- ... n-hold-pee

Every lady would tell you, they can hold pee longer, well myth has been busted.

I'm not trying to argue here. I'm trying just present
medical facts as I know them.
You are entitled to your own opinion too of course.
But I do not see any medical evidence that support your
views on this. Here is what I've found again in summary.

1. Bladder size tends to follow body size -- so a male and
female of equal body size might well have similar sized
bladders.
2. But males have better, larger, and stronger urethral
sphincters for stopping urine flow (this is known from
anatomy and from measurements of urethral squeezing
pressure).
3.Therefore, on average males can hold their urine to
higher pressures and therefore to higher volumes that
females (this means more urine and longer holding
times).
1. As to room in the lower abdominal cavity -- well
contrary to statements on this string -- males have
MORE room down there as they do NOT have a uterus
laying right on top of their bladder like females do.