AI/ChatGPT

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
jdoewest
Arrived
AI/ChatGPT

Post by jdoewest »

I’m very intrigued by the ability of AI and ChatGPT to generate content. I recently asked ChatGPT to write a short story about a young man who needs to pee. Here’s what it wrote. Not bad, but I was surprised by the ending it came up with:

“Alex sat in his car, shifting uncomfortably in his seat as he stared at the unmoving line of cars ahead of him. His bladder was full to bursting, and he cursed himself for not stopping at the last rest stop he had passed. Now he was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on a deserted road, with no relief in sight.

The pressure in his bladder was becoming unbearable, and Alex knew he wouldn't be able to hold it much longer. Cars honked in frustration as he squirmed in his seat, desperately trying to find some relief. But there was nothing he could do. He was trapped in his own personal hell, surrounded by cars and unable to escape.

As the minutes ticked by, Alex's desperation grew. He could feel the sweat breaking out on his forehead, his hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. He scanned the horizon for any sign of a bathroom, but all he could see were trees lining the road.

Suddenly, a thought struck him. He could pull over and relieve himself on the side of the road. It was a risky move, but at this point, he was willing to take the chance. He scanned the cars around him, looking for an opportunity to make his escape.

Finally, he saw his chance. The car in front of him had moved up a few feet, creating a gap just large enough for him to slip through. Without hesitation, Alex slammed on the gas and swerved into the empty space, driving onto the shoulder of the road.

He jumped out of the car, fumbling with his zipper as he ran towards the trees. His heart pounded in his chest as he finally let loose, the relief washing over him in a wave of ecstasy. As he stood there, eyes closed in bliss, he felt a presence behind him.

Turning slowly, he saw a figure emerging from the shadows of the trees. It was a man, dressed in ragged clothes and a menacing grin on his face. Suddenly, Alex realized the danger he was in. He was alone, vulnerable, and exposed.

But before he could react, the man lunged forward, grabbing Alex by the throat. The last thing he saw before everything went dark was the man's twisted smile…”
Brian
Site Staff
Re: AI/ChatGPT

Post by Brian »

Personally I have mixed feelings about it. It's certainly intriguing and the writing it produces is good, but it worries me that ChatGPT content can be difficult to distinguish from the serious creative work by human writers. A worst-case scenario for this forum would be if we get flooded by AI content and our natural creativity as writers gets drowned out by the robot-generated stuff. Human writing is based on our personal experiences and our personal makeup, and it is too valuable to be replaced.

I'm actually quite glad you've started this topic. My suggestion would be that any other AI material should go here leaving the rest of our site for human contributions.

I stress that this is only my own personal view. Other people might feel differently.

We could make this topic "sticky" if other people agree so that it remains at the top of "Sightings & Chatter" to remind everyone.
googlism2008
Can't stay away...

Post by googlism2008 »

On one hand, I do not think AI-generated content should be banned outright. But on the other hand, like what Brian said, I also don't want to see this forum overrun by AI-generated content, like what already happened to some other forums of creative topics.

One suggestion I have is to mark all AI-generated content as such, perhaps by prefixing the subject with "[AI]". That way, it becomes easier to spot human generated content.
jdoewest
Arrived

Post by jdoewest »

I agree, at the very least we should mandate that AI generated content should be labeled as such.
Brian
Site Staff

Post by Brian »

There was another brief conversation about the subject in our Stronger Interests section a year ago, started by Skikid2010. It's here for those who have access.