How much can a male bladder hold?

An area to discuss sightings and other observations. No sexual references please, there is the Stronger Interests section for that.
nicpee
Arrived

How much can a male bladder hold?

Post by nicpee »

I've always wondered how much a man's bladder can hold. Are there age differences, so on average a young man of 18 can hold more or less than a 30 year old?

I noticed that after a night of drinking i was around 1200cc and I was already feeling it heavy in my abdomen. I could probably take a little more, but I was scared because I heard it was unhealthy.
Brian
Site Staff
Re: How much can a male bladder hold?

Post by Brian »

This article suggests only 700 ml for a male bladder (and 500 ml for a female one). It doesn't mention any age dependency.

Presumably it varies though from one person to the next?
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

From all I've read, the average male can hold up to 700 mL before the discomfort is too great or he involuntarily pees. But there's a wide variation, and I've also read that many men can hold up to a liter in extreme situations. We know, of course, that a number of men at Omorashi sites can hold well over that amount. Somewhere I have a couple of studies on the matter and I'll try to root them out.
Wombat48
Site Staff

Post by Wombat48 »

Average is about 700, but lots of factors will apply..not sure age makes any difference, providing there are no age related health issues such as enlarged prostate?
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Wombat48 wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 03:39 Average is about 700, but lots of factors will apply..not sure age makes any difference, providing there are no age related health issues such as enlarged prostate?
Although an enlarged prostate will cause a man to pee more often, that's usually because he is unable to fully empty his bladder. It's not uncommon that when a man with a seriously enlarged prostate is catheterized, his bladder is holding well over a liter, even two liters in some instances. That's more than most men will hold voluntarily.

Most literature says that in general, a man will urinate involuntarily before any damage is caused, though posts on some omorashi sites seem to indicate some extreme holding by a few individuals.
Adrian6970
Entrenched!

Post by Adrian6970 »

I'm told that officially it's about 500ml, equivalent to about 2 cups of urine but there are wide variations and I've certainly known of people holding over a litre. However variations aren't dependent on age or sex though for that matter.
Fred
Site Staff

Post by Fred »

Adrian6970 wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 17:19 I'm told that officially it's about 500ml, equivalent to about 2 cups of urine but there are wide variations and I've certainly known of people holding over a litre. However variations aren't dependent on age or sex though for that matter.
Medical sources rarely mention that quite a few men can and do hold a liter (or more) because they don't want to encourage them to make a practice of it. We know it's not healthy to overstress any body system, but because there is an element of pleasure in some men in holding a full bladder, some choose to do it - or choose situations where they feel they must.